Mathraki is the southernmost and smallest of the three islands comprising the Diapontia Islands complex just off the Northwest coast of Corfu (Kerkyra). It has a total surface area of about 3.5 square kilometers and a permanent population of around 50 people. As a municipal unit of the larger island of Corfu, it became part of Greece in 1864 when the Ionian Islands were ceded to Greece by the British with the Treaty of London. The three nearby islets Diaplo, Diakopo and Tracheia are also part of the municipal unit.
Based on historical records the island started to be permanently inhabited in the 19th century. Before that it was only used for farming and the raising of livestock by inhabitants of the largest of the three Diapontian Islands, Othonoi. The origin of the name Mathraki is unknown, but it is alleged that it derives from the word “athrakia” which in the local dialect means charcoal and came to be after a destructive fire burned the whole island.
Accessible only by boat, it has remained unspoiled from the negative impacts of mass tourism taking place on other Greek islands. Its luscious green landscape, scenic hiking trails and virgin beaches make it an ideal spot for a tranquil retreat.
Mathraki, Ιονια Νησια, Greece